What is BOTOX?
BOTOX® is the most commonly known cosmetic injection. BOTOXis used for cosmetic and medical reasons. It affects the nerves and causes the muscles to weaken, which is why cosmetic injectors use it to smooth wrinkles, fine lines, and even migraines and excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis).1,2
But, as you will learn later in this article, depending on the age you begin BOTOX treatments, you can either smooth out wrinkles and take years off your face or prevent and pause the visible effects of aging.3
Even the common areas of the face that BOTOX treats require a skilled cosmetic injector with extensive experience. A professional takes the time to consider the look a patient wants to achieve, the issue they want to resolve, as well as the patient's age to determine:
- What amount to use
- What areas to inject (and not inject)
It's all about the right balance. The face has many nerves, veins, and arteries, and your injector's knowledge and experience are paramount. Other areas that BOTOX can address but are not as common, like the neck or chin, require even more experience.
Balance, skill, and safety are everything.
Let's look at essential considerations to address BEFORE you have your first injection:
- Do you want zero movements in your forehead lines or around your eyes to maximize the anti-wrinkle appearance? Or do they want some movement for a more relaxed but softer effect?
- Do you want to focus on preventing deep expression and aging lines? What are your long-term goals for aging and BOTOX?
- Do you want to follow the "Rule of Decades" and ensure your face AND neck match in age?
- Do you know the effects of BOTOX?
- Do you have a condition that BOTOX addresses effectively that is not medical, not just cosmetic?
The most important thing to understand about BOTOX is that it's a ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL treatment. Your objectives, expectations, age, and short-, medium-, and long-term goals, should all be factors before you have your first injection. This takes time and focus.
An experienced, artful injector will interview you in detail before beginning your BOTOX:
- What look is optimal for you?
- What areas are you most concerned about?
- What distracts you when you look in the mirror?
- What are your short- and long-term goals for BOTOX and aging?
- What are some alternative treatments that may provide a better outcome?
Price Versus Value When Considering BOTOX in Scottsdale
If price is your foremost consideration for finding a BOTOX injector, look no further than Groupon or a friend's BOTOX party. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of cheap and discounted offers.
The tradeoff for lowest pricing is a dangerous and cookie-cutter approach usually for the 3 main areas: forehead, "11's"between the eyes, and crow's feet.
The downsides for price-driven BOTOX are:
- Too much BOTOX resulting in that "frozen" look that screams, "I've had BOTOX!"
- Too little or diluted BOTOX resulting in poor wrinkle control and/or wearing off early (most common)
- BOTOX injections incorrectly placed, resulting in a drooping eyelid or eyebrow—an undesirable change in appearance that will last for 3–6 months
- Inexperienced or "on-the-job" trained injector slacking in medical knowledge
With price as your primary focus, make 100% sure your cosmetic injector takes the time to understand you, your goals, and your face.Rushed injections and the "Swipe and Stab" energy of BOTOX parties and Groupon shops are not conducive to safety or optimal results.
Remember, your face is what most people see first. So please think carefully before trusting it to someone because they are "cheaper."
The cliché "You get what you pay for" is true with discount BOTOX.
Value Versus Price
Yes, this article is about value over price. BOTOX has become so popular that the market is flooded with parties, salons, and spas that want to cash in on demand. But unfortunately, many marginally qualified and even unqualified injectors are delivering BOTOX.
Esthetic Solutions Med Spa in Scottsdale, AZ, gets calls weekly from people who had poorly placed BOTOX injections with embarrassing results. The most common issue Esthetic Solutions hears is that their injections did not last anywhere near the promised 3–6 months. It's easy to cut costs when you under dose and over-dilute the number of units needed.
To ensure you get the most value for your money no matter where you have your BOTOX:
- Insist on consultation before your first treatment. Leave if you do not get the time and information you need to feel your practitioner is the right person to entrust your face to.
- Do not assume that because an injector is a medical person with a medical degree, they have the breadth and depth of experience doing BOTOX injections.
- Select a practitioner who knows what they are doing. Consider their track record, experience as a medical professional, and time asa cosmetic injector.
- Take care of your skin after BOTOX. Avoid things that can decrease the longevity of BOTOX, like sun exposure without sunblock, excess alcohol, and smoking, none of which are suitable for your skin at any time.
Remember, paying for the best possible and longest-lasting results by a top-rated cosmetic injector means high value for the dollars spent, especially if no one can tell the secret to a natural, younger-looking appearance.
The Art of BOTOX—Other Areas On The Face And Neck That Can Be Injected
The Art of BOTOX is for both women and men—medically and cosmetically. But, did you know there are other areas of the face and neck that, when artfully applied, can:
- Smooth lines in the lower face, such as the chin. BOTOX helps prevent the "orange peel look" and stops an unsightly chin crease from forming due to loss of collagen.
- Combine with laser resurfacing, BOTOX can relax the muscle and prevent some deep lines from coming back by being used before laser treatments.
- Smooth out necklines and décolletage "bands" that give away age as much as the face.
- Prevent deep lines from forming in the forehead, between the eyes, crow's feet, and the "necklace" lines in the neck (in younger skin) and new lines from forming.
- Freeze the bite muscle to stop grinding teeth during the day and night. Patients even report lower anxiety and stress and improvement in depression symptoms. And the face appears slenderer and more contoured as an added cosmetic bonus
- Stop excessive underarm sweating for 9–12 months.
- "Scrotox" reduces scrotal sweating, creates a smoother appearance, and in the case of uneven testicles, can be used to create symmetry and hang evenly.
If you are considering BOTOX in Scottsdale, we suggest scheduling a private consultation with our cosmetic injectors, trained under our CEO & Founder, Emily Tryon, RN, by calling 480.280.6062. Our cosmetic injectors will listen to your goals and give you a customized plan based on their experience and artistic eye.
Let's start your journey to turn back the hands of time and pause aging today. Are you ready?
1. "Botox injections," Mayo Clinic, last accessed July 18, 2022, https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/botox/about/pac-20384658.
2. "Botox," MedlinePlus, last accessed July 18, 2022, https://medlineplus.gov/botox.html.
3. "Botox (Botulinum Toxin)," Cleveland Clinic, last accessed July 18, 2022, https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/8312-botulinum-toxin-injections.